The Alaska Highway Dawson Creek, British Columbia to Delta Junction, Alaska (historical routes, heritage sites, sightseeing, driving tour) Pioneer Road - Contract Road - Public Road
Yukon Territory, Canada
Historic Milepost 804, Telsin
The community of Teslin includes the Village of Teslin and an adjacent Indian reserve (Teslin Post Indian Reserve 13) in Yukon, Canada. Teslin is situated at historical Mile 804 on the Alaska Highway along Teslin Lake. The Hudson's Bay Company established a small trading post at Teslin in 1903 (i.e. Teslin Post). In the 2011 census, the population of the village was 122, a decrease of 13.5% from the 2006 census, and that of the reserve was 138, a decrease of 11.5% from 2006.
Teslin River Bridge, third longest water span on the highway
Teslin is home to the Teslin Inland Tlingit First Nation. The name Teslin came from a Tlingit word "Teslintoo." Teslin has one of the largest Native populations in Yukon. Much of the community's livelihood revolves around traditional hunting, trapping and fishing.
Teslin has a population of approximately 450. The name Teslin is taken from the Tlingit word Teslintoo, meaning, “long narrow water”. Teslin Lake is 92 miles long. There is a Day-use area, picnic tables and boat launch at the north end of Nisutlin Bay Bridge. The Nisutlin Bay Bridge is the longest water span on the Alaska Highway at 584metres/1,916 feet. In the late 1800s gold seekers traveled up the Stikine River from Wrangell, Alaska, then trekked 150 miles overland from Telegraph Creek to the headwaters of Teslin Lake where they constructed crude boats. Then they sailed over the lake and down the Teslin and Yukon Rivers to Dawson City and the gold fields. The first known permanent settlement of Teslin was in 1904 when a trading post was established to serve the Tlingit Indians. Teslin’s economy is still based on traditional hunting, trapping and fishing, although tourism is playing an increasingly important role. There are several businesses in Teslin that cater to the visitor.
Teslin is also home to The George Johnston Museum; an amazing collection of photographs and historical memorabilia.